350 Bay Area Divestment~Investment Campaign
Divestment is the opposite of investment–it simply means getting rid of stocks, bonds or investment funds that are unethical or morally objectionable, particularly fossil fuel investments which are a risk for investors and for the planet. We are calling on institutions to divest from the 200 publicly-traded companies that hold the vast majority of listed coal, oil and gas reserves. We also support a socially just transition to a future that invests in jobs and infrastructure to build an economy based on renewable clean energy.
Here’s a great video explaining the campaign in more detail:
Bay Area Divestment News and Events
350Marin held a community conversation on Public Banking on October 18th that drew a full house. Presenters Ellen Brown, founder of the Public Banking Institute and Susan Harman, Co-founder of Commonomics USA and Member of Friends of the Public Bank of Oakland made the case for taking public money – the funds controlled by our governments – out of the hands of private banks and putting them in a public bank managed in the public’s best interests. It’s a way we can lower fees, and use funds strategically to provide new opportunities for underserved communities, avoid fossil fuel and other destructive investments, and to finance needed public projects at a lower cost. If you aren’t already getting our newsletter, sign up, and we’ll keep you informed about the growing Public Bank movement, and let you know how you can participate.
National and International Divestment News
- Prince Charles: rewire the global economy to stop climate change
- Prepare Your Portfolio to Take Advantage of Climate Change
- Huge Insurance Company Cites Climate Change As Reason For Divesting From Coal
- Syracuse University announces it will divest from fossil fuels
- UN backs fossil fuel divestment campaign
- The argument for divesting from fossil fuels is becoming overwhelming
- The U.S. Divestment Movement Takes Nonviolent Direct Action
- Divestment Outperforms Conventional Portfolios for Past 5 Years
- Stanford professors urge withdrawal from fossil fuel investments
- Vermont Treasurer and VPIC urge ExxonMobil to adopt greenhouse gas emission reduction goals
- Divestment Campaign Aims to Bleed Dry the Fossil Fuel Industry
To find out whether banks you use have been supporting the fossil fuel industry and financing pipeline infrastructure projects, and how to transfer your accounts away from them, check out our flyer HERE.
Find out more about the California focused divestment campaign at California Fossil Free.
Stay up to date with the international divestment campaign at 350.org.
350Marin Divestment~Investment Support
The Divest/Invest committee of local group 350Marin is serving as the information clearinghouse and consultant on Fossil Fuel Divestment and Re-Investment in Clean Energy for 350 Bay Area and its 350 local groups. Use the form at the bottom of the page to contact the 350Marin Divest~Invest team if we might be able to help:
- Establish a Divestment Campaign team within a 350 local group.
- Publicize a Divestment~Investment Event